Wednesday, November 3, 2010

Devilish Chicken


Brr. It was INSANELY cold today. This morning the hubs and I woke up and left for work around 6:30 am. Aside from looking like midnight outside, it felt like we were at the north pole. According to the weather channel, it was 27 degrees out. I swear they were lying. In case you are unaware, I live in Pennsylvania. If you're not from the states, that's right below New York :). It should NOT be 27 degrees. Sigh. Anyway, we trekked to work as always. The frost was all over the windshield, so we put the windows down and ran the windshield wipers. This is a common occurrence in the early winter months. We never know if it'll be frosty or not, and we certainly didn't expect it this morning. Good thing we live a block from work. Or else we'd actually have to warm up the car :(
So after the scramble in the frigid cold, I finally settled at my desk, got my heating pad out, and started to think about dinner. Monday evening I was flipping through food network and cooking channel. Rachael Ray was on and she was making what she called "Deviled Skillet Chicken". It looked quite tasty, aside from the fact that the top of the chicken looked a tad too smothered in mustard to me. The basis of this dish was browned chicken, with a large smear of dijon (mixed with red pepper and spices), and a sauce made from the pan drippings and wine. Pretty easy, and I figured I'd adapt it to my tastes. Last week I had a mess with dijon pork chops (BOO!), but I loved the sauce. So this sauce is pretty similar to that. It's a little healthier, though! As per the norm, I used boneless skinless breasts, and instead of smearing the top with a large dollop of mustard, I coated the chicken in it, and allowed it to be the sauce. It was fantastic! On her show, Rachael Ray paired it with a vinegar slaw and giardiniera. We bought hot pepper rings instead and had a salad. Surprisingly, the nice bite from the vinegar in the pickled peppers really did go well with the Dijon. I highly recommend having something vinegary. Hope you enjoy the recipe!

--------
Time from start to finish: About 15-20 minutes

Ingredients:
2 boneless, skinless Chicken Breasts
1/2 cup Dijon Mustard
1 big sprig Rosemary, chopped finely
2 cloves Garlic, minced or grated
2 tsp Crushed Red Pepper
1 small onion, diced
1 cup Dry White Wine
1/2 - 1 cup Chicken Stock
Salt and Pepper to taste
1 Tbsp Extra Virgin Olive Oil
1 Tbsp Butter

Heat your olive oil and butter over medium high heat. Mix the mustard, red pepper, garlic and rosemary together. Salt and pepper your chicken, then slather with the mustard mixture. Brown your chicken on one side. Flip and add the onions. Once the other side is browned, add the wine and chicken stock and reduce the heat to medium to medium low. Cook until the chicken is cooked through, about 4-5 minutes.

Eat Well!
Melissa

No comments:

Post a Comment